Project Fred
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

brainstorming and meeting space for Project Fred

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

2D Background Montage Thread

Go down 
+5
Vincent Lo
Deammer
Director
chelseaSuarez
Joon Choi
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Joon Choi

2D Background Montage Thread Empty
PostSubject: 2D Background Montage Thread   2D Background Montage Thread I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 17, 2011 3:58 pm

I will be posting the environments in the montage here. Will Continue to update with other montage pics as needed.

Not at the quality I would like it to be, but apparently running short of time.

Pick the versions you like between several versions

Waterfall

Less Saturated Version
2D Background Montage Thread Waterfall

More Saturated Version
2D Background Montage Thread Waterfall2

Scary Version
2D Background Montage Thread ForestScary

First

2D Background Montage Thread Crab-1

Last edited by Joon Choi on Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:36 pm; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
chelseaSuarez

PostSubject: Re: 2D Background Montage Thread   2D Background Montage Thread I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 17, 2011 4:06 pm

Whoa, this is gorgeous. I personally like the more saturated version better, but I don't know what kind of color schemes we're going with for the rest of the film, so when we figure that out, I guess we'll pick which ones fits better.
Back to top Go down
Joon Choi

PostSubject: Re: 2D Background Montage Thread   2D Background Montage Thread I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 17, 2011 4:41 pm

I do agree, I like the saturated version more, but only concern I have is the saturation may divert attention from the focal point (which is why I have two versions, just in case), which in this case would most likely be the knight.
Back to top Go down
chelseaSuarez

PostSubject: Re: 2D Background Montage Thread   2D Background Montage Thread I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 17, 2011 4:45 pm

Hmm, that's true :/ I guess we'll know better after we test it out.
Back to top Go down
Director
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2D Background Montage Thread   2D Background Montage Thread I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2011 7:08 pm

I do like the saturated version better, but you are right. We won't if it's distracting until we try.

BUT THIS GORGEOUS.
Back to top Go down
Deammer
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2D Background Montage Thread   2D Background Montage Thread I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2011 9:44 pm

Good stuff!
IMO we should go with the more saturated version: this sequence will last about 10-15 seconds, and if all the emphasis is put on the Knight riding, it will be boring.
Plus if we make the horse go on that bridge, it will be small, which will make the viewer feel like the journey is long and adventurous, which is good, and even better if the backgrounds are beautiful!
Back to top Go down
Vincent Lo

PostSubject: Re: 2D Background Montage Thread   2D Background Montage Thread I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2011 10:12 pm

will it look right if there's an animated rider and still background?
Back to top Go down
Joon Choi

PostSubject: Re: 2D Background Montage Thread   2D Background Montage Thread I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2011 10:20 pm

yes most likely, since it should be understood that the montage and the horse riding will be in different "dimensions". Only when the character is interacting with the environment would we need to have the waterfall/clouds moving.
Back to top Go down
Joon Choi

PostSubject: Re: 2D Background Montage Thread   2D Background Montage Thread I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 19, 2011 11:42 pm

Updated with the forest one. Kinda rushed that one out tonight so its not at the level I'd like it to be. If I have time I'll make it a bit better.
Back to top Go down
Deammer
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2D Background Montage Thread   2D Background Montage Thread I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2011 10:44 am

Nice work. I know you rushed through it, but do you think you could make a darker version? Kinda eerie, creepy woods? Think Fangorn, in Lord of the Ring. That might be cool Smile
Back to top Go down
sjt072000

PostSubject: Re: 2D Background Montage Thread   2D Background Montage Thread I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2011 12:14 pm

These look amazing...
Back to top Go down
berryhedgehog

PostSubject: Re: 2D Background Montage Thread   2D Background Montage Thread I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2011 12:32 pm

I like the more saturated for water but less saturated for forest. The water would have bright sunshine playing on it, but the forest is more shady.
Back to top Go down
Joon Choi

PostSubject: Re: 2D Background Montage Thread   2D Background Montage Thread I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2011 2:57 am

Updated with the giant crab. Will rework the Forest sometime tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
chelseaSuarez

PostSubject: Re: 2D Background Montage Thread   2D Background Montage Thread I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2011 3:21 am

Hahahahaha, that crab is the greatest thing XD
Back to top Go down
Vincent Lo

PostSubject: Re: 2D Background Montage Thread   2D Background Montage Thread I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2011 1:30 pm

These look really good!
I think the legs of the crab could be brought out just a little bit more.
Back to top Go down
RadicalFox

RadicalFox

PostSubject: Re: 2D Background Montage Thread   2D Background Montage Thread I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2011 8:38 pm

lol at the crab. XD nice!

I dunno with the water though... I like both versions but I'm a little more partial towards the less saturated one... I dunno, maybe it can be trial and error with them. just to see which looks better
Back to top Go down
jslm
Admin
jslm

PostSubject: Re: 2D Background Montage Thread   2D Background Montage Thread I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 12:21 pm

that saturated waterfall one is awesome Very Happy
if we use any of the saturated ones we should definitely go with that one. Goes with the cell-shaded, wind waker style as well.
Back to top Go down
https://fred.forumotion.com
chelseaSuarez

PostSubject: Re: 2D Background Montage Thread   2D Background Montage Thread I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 4:07 pm

I didn't realize this until today, but we need to make sure that these 2d backgrounds fit in with the toonshaded 3d backgrounds, so it doesn't look like a weird sudden jump. Caitlin mentioned that it's a montage, so some difference will probably be ok, but I think to make things mesh more, some black outlines should probably be put around some of the objects in these backgrounds. And also, everything with the toonshaders on comes out really bright, so we might end up wanting to go with the more saturated versions.
Back to top Go down
Joon Choi

PostSubject: Re: 2D Background Montage Thread   2D Background Montage Thread I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 4:32 pm

Easy fix, at least the black outline part, I'll get to it if need be.
Back to top Go down
chelseaSuarez

PostSubject: Re: 2D Background Montage Thread   2D Background Montage Thread I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 4:56 pm

I think it would help everything look more cohesive. Everything else should probably be fine? I think? I guess we'll see when all the 3d backgrounds are finished.
Back to top Go down
Deammer
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2D Background Montage Thread   2D Background Montage Thread I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 11:15 am

I posted a test of the montage in the dropbox, under animation. It's called "montageTest1.swf". Check it out, let me know what you think. I used the more saturated of the water falls picture Joon drew.
Back to top Go down
chelseaSuarez

PostSubject: Re: 2D Background Montage Thread   2D Background Montage Thread I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 3:30 pm

I saw it in class and it looked really nice! I liked the look of the saturated colors behind the character.
Back to top Go down
Joon Choi

PostSubject: Re: 2D Background Montage Thread   2D Background Montage Thread I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2011 3:31 am

Updated the crab picture with the knight.

Really big version is up on dropbox to prevent loss of resolution during zoom in scene.
Back to top Go down
Joon Choi

PostSubject: Re: 2D Background Montage Thread   2D Background Montage Thread I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2011 6:37 pm

Updated the forest with a scarier version upon Max's request.

Big Version on Dropbox.
Back to top Go down
chelseaSuarez

PostSubject: Re: 2D Background Montage Thread   2D Background Montage Thread I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2011 6:46 pm

Hehehehe, I love the scary forest Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2D Background Montage Thread   2D Background Montage Thread I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

2D Background Montage Thread
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Project Fred  :: Environments :: General & Discussion-
Jump to: